Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Roasted Baby Eggplant

Cute little things.
Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables. That said, eggplant season is so long in Austin that I often get tired of them by the fall.

But when I saw these sweet baby eggplants at the farmers market, I had to try them.

Roasting is always a good option when I prepare eggplant. It's super simple and it brings out the natural succulence of the eggplant, making it sweet and juicy.

      

Here's how I made them:
1. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise.
2. Toss them in a big bowl with salt, pepper, and olive oil.
3. Bake them at 375 for about 30 minutes.
4. Eat with your fingers. (It's hard not to, really.)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I've ever tried roasting eggplant. Will have to try this -- looks really yummy!!

Christine said...

Oh man, you should try it. You can do it with the big ones, too. With those, you can scoop out the flesh when they're done, then mash it and add lemon juice and olive oil and spices to make a really good dip (and you know I like my dip).

Anonymous said...

Sounds awesome!!

Chef Dad said...

You can do pretty much the same thing on the grill too.

Christine said...

I love that idea. I bet it'd get extra-smokey.